Monday, October 26, 2009

Well, I just reached in the house and my shoes not even off yet. I have returned from the Vincy Homecoming celebrations - the Cultural showcase, which was a phenomenon in the Vincentian community. I have seen nothing like it in SVG before and I can only hope that we move up and forward with it.

But I am pissed...the PM made a record time speech, in time to hand the flag over to a cadet to raise it, followed by the singing of the National Anthem. I could not look at the flag as I mouthed the words...Alas it was placed upside down with the diamonds as evidence of this travesty. I am not sure how many people realised this....the band continued playing and the crowd was obliged to stand to sing along.

I think of this happening in another nation, where the proceedings may have been paused to correct what could have been a genuine error...one that the cadet responsible will likely face public humiliation over and may even affect her/his continued involved in the cadet force. (we know how much we like a public fall, even if our nation will be sullied by it).

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes the show was great but marred by the upside down flag and the absence of fireworks. One my friends quipped that the upside down flag typifies the state we are in.

    ReplyDelete

I dare you to test my conviction in my words by leaving your own